Applicant Privacy Notice (V.3.7)
Coupang Corp. (hereinafter referred to as “Coupang”) establishes and discloses the following Privacy Notice to protect job applicants’ personal information(Abbreviation: ‘PI’) in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act and handle related issues in a quick and seamless manner. Any updates to this Privacy Notice will be posted on our website’s notice board, including the effective date and the details of the revision. .
1. Personal Information Collected, Purpose of Collection, and Retention Period
|Purpose of Collection
|Period of Retention and Use
|Verification of applicant’s identity and qualifications, background and/or reputation check, application processing, application history and acceptance confirmation, communication with applicant, handling requests and inquiries, unfair hiring prevention, Satisfaction surveys of applicants, improvement of the hiring process, analysis of applicants’ experiences
|Name, contact information, email, nationality, educational background, work experience, qualifications, (for special hiring program applicants only) national merit status, relatives information (name, relationship, team name), application history
*We collect Hispanic/Latino status, gender, veteran status, and disability status from US office applicats.
|South Korea, India : Destroyed after 6 months from the notification of hiring result *According to the Equal Employment Opportunity Act, ‘application history’ can be stored for 3 years U.S : Destroyed after 4 years from the notification of hiring result China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore : Destroyed after 3years from the notification of hiring result (In the case of year-round recruitment, destroyed after 5 years from the notification of hiring result)
- Internet Explorer: Menu > Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing History > ‘Delete’ and ‘Settings’
- Google Chrome: Menu > Settings > ‘Privacy and Security’
- Safari: Preferences > ‘Prevent cross-site tracking’ and ‘Block all cookies’
- Major internet web browsers including Firefox and Opera are also providing cookie deletion features.
- Android: Home > Settings > Google > Ads > Turn on “Opt out of Ads Personalization”
- iPhone: Home > Settings > Privacy > Tracking > Turn off “Allow apps to request to Track”
2. Provision and Consignment of Personal Information
Coupang may provide personal information in accordance with the due process of law, for instance, where there are special provisions in applicable laws such as the Personal Information Protection Act, Act On Promotion Of Information And Communications Network Utilization And Information Protection, Protection Of Communications Secrets Act, Telecommunications Business Act, Act On The Consumer Protection In Electronic Commerce, Framework Act On National Taxes, Credit Information Use And Protection Act or Framework Act On Consumers, or a warrant or an official document signed by the head of the organization is presented. In particular, Coupang can provide personal information to related authorities without the consent of the applicant in the event of an emergency such as a disaster, infectious disease, event or accident that causes imminent threat to life or health, or imminent loss of property.
(Information Management Officer)
|Date and Method
|Period of Retention and Use
|Greenhouse Software (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Transmission over secure network when applying for a job
|Items specified under “1. Personal Information Collected, Purpose of Collection, and Retention Period”
|Management and maintenance of the hiring system
|Destroyed as specified under “1. Personal Information Collected, Purpose of Collection, and Retention Period” or after termination of contract
3. Use and Provision Without Applicant’s Consent
Coupang processes and provides personal information only to within the scope of obtaining consent from the applicant. In the case of additional use or provision of personal information without the applicant’s consent pursuant to Articles 15(3) and 17(4) of the Personal Information Protection Act, we will disclose the grounds for such use and provision including the following details:
- Whether it is relevant to the purpose of the original collection
- Whether the additional use or provision of personal information is predictable in light of the circumstances where personal information was collected or the practice of personal information processing
- Whether the interests of the applicant are unjustly infringed
- Whether necessary security measures such as pseudonymization or encryption have been taken
4. Processing of Pseudonymized Information
In some circumstances where it is necessary for statistics, scientific research, archiving for public interest, or other purposes, Coupang may pseudonymize the collected personal information so that it can no longer be identified an individual.
5. Procedure for and Methods of Destroying Personal Information
Coupang destroys personal information without delay when the information is rendered unnecessary by the expiration of its retention period or by achieving the purpose of processing. The procedure for and methods of destroying personal information are as follows:
- Procedure of Destruction : Once the purpose of personal information collection and use has been achieved, the information is separately stored and then destroyed after retaining for a certain period of time in obligation with the internal policies and applicable laws
Methods of Destruction : Personal information in electronic form is destroyed through means that will make the data irrecoverable, whereas personal information stored in a hard copy format is destroyed using a shredder.
However, if it is required by applicable laws to retain personal information even after the expiration of personal information retention period consented by the applicant or after achieving the purpose of processing, Coupang separately stores and manages to retain the necessary personal information.
|Website/app visit history
|Protection Of Communications Secrets Act
|Documents concerning recruitment and employment
|Equal Employment Opportunity and Work-family Balance Assistance Act
|Tax base and tax-filing materials
|Framework Act On National Taxes
|Books and supporting documents relating to transactions
6. Rights and Obligations of Applicant and Legal Representatives and How to Exercise the Rights
- Where there are special legal provisions, or it is inevitable to fulfil a legal obligation;
- Where there is a possibility of causing harm to another person’s life or body or unjustly infringing on another person’s property or interests; or
- Where the services agreed upon by the customer cannot be provided unless personal information is processed and the applicant has not clearly stated his/her intention to terminate the contract.
7. Personal Information Safeguard Measures
- Technical Safeguards: real-time monitoring and blocking of hacking attempts and data leak, enhanced access control on personal information processing systems, storage of access logs and prevention of their forgery/alteration, at-rest encryption of passwords and critical information, and in-transit encryption of data
- Administrative Safeguards: Operation of a dedicated privacy team, regular training for personal information handlers, awareness-raising activities for employees, and regular audits for compliance
8. Chief Privacy Officer and Customer Support Team
Coupang designates a Chief Privacy Officer in charge of personal information protection as below to take responsibility for the processing of personal information, and to handle complaints and damage relief from applicants related to personal information processing.
|Person/Team in Charge
|Chief Privacy Officer (CPO)
|Kim Jong Jun
|Customer Support and Complaint Handling Team
Privacy Notice Version: 3.7
Effective Date: 12. 1. 2023
※ If you have any questions about privacy notice that is not indicated, please contact customer support team.
- South Korea: Coupang Corp., Coupang Fulfillment Services, Ltd (CFS), Coupang Logistics Service, Ltd. (CLS), Coupang Pay Ltd, CPLB Corp., Coupang Eats Services, Ltd.(CES), Ddnayo, Inc., BorderlessFilm, Coupang Financial Corp., CP Entertainment Corp.
- USA: Coupang, Inc., Coupang USA, Inc. Coupang Global LLC
- China: Coupang(Shanghai) Co., Ltd., Coupang(Beijing) Co., Ltd., Coupang (Shanghai) Trading Co., Ltd., CPLB (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd., Coupang Info Technology (Yanbian) Co., Ltd.
- Taiwan: Coupang Taiwan Co., Ltd.
- Hong Kong: Coupang Hong Kong Trading Ltd, Coupang Flash HK Ltd.
- Singapore: Coupang Asia Holdings Pte. Ltd.
- India : Coupang India Ltd.
- Japan: Coupang Japan G.K., CP One Japan K.K.