Privacy Notice (V.11.2)
This Privacy Notice applies to Coupang (eCommerce), Coupang Eats, Coupang Play, Coupang Live Creator, and Coupang Partners. This does not apply to other services provided by Coupang.
Coupang will not use the collected personal information for purpose other than the original intended purpose of collection, and if the purpose of use changes, we will take necessary measures such as obtaining separate consent under Article 18 of the Personal Information Protection Act. Coupang processes and retains personal information within the period of retention of it in accordance with the applicable laws and within the period notified and agreed upon when collecting personal information from users. The period of processing and retaining personal information under the applicable laws can be found under 5. Procedure for and Methods of Destroying Personal Information.
Also, you can find the information about the processing of personal location information relevant to location-based services under “8. Processing of Personal Location Information”.
1. Personal Information Collected, Purpose of Collection, and Retention Period
Coupang collects the minimum amount of personal information necessary from the users. We use the users’ personal information, service visit, search, and usage records to analyze their interests and preferences to provide personalized service and an innovative shopping experience that will let the users receive products when, where and how they want.
|Type||Purpose of Collection||Information Collected||Period of Retention and Use|
|Required||Membership sign-up, user identification, and member management||User ID (email), name, mobile number, password||Retained for 90 days from the membership withdrawal and then destroyed|
|Personalized service||User ID (email), name, mobile number, service use records, age, and gender *|
|Fraud prevention||User ID (email), name, mobile number, and service use records detected as a fraud||Retained for 180 days from the membership withdrawal and then destroyed|
|Optional||Marketing and promotion of services using Coupang ID||User ID (email), mobile number||Destroyed at the time of membership withdrawal|
Personalized advertisement using demographic traits and estimated interests and tendencies of a user
|Service use records, age, and gender *|
Personalized advertisement blocked when consent is withdrawn, Destroyed at the time of membership withdrawal
* This information is processed only for users who have verified their identity after signing up as a member.
Coupang may collect additional personal information (Abbreviation: ‘PI’) after obtaining consent from users to provide various services.
When a user uses services of Coupang Eats, Coupang Play, Coupang Live Creator, or Coupang Partners, Coupang collects minimal personal information after obtaining consent from the user.
2. Provision and Consignment of Personal Information
Coupang provides personal information to third parties only within the scope of consent obtained from the user.
|Consignee||Purpose of Consignment|
|KSJOB, Trans Cosmos Korea Inc., U-BASE, MetaM, Hyosung ITX||
Customer Support Service
|Korea Mobile Certification Inc., NHN KCP Corp.||Identity verification|
|Hanjin Express, Cheonil Cargo Transportation, Lotte Global Logistics, Coupang Logistics Services, Ltd., independent delivery partners (Coupang Flex), CJ Logistics, LX Pantos, SDS, ACI (post office)||Delivery of Goods|
|SK Magic Co., Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Hauser, Inc., Nexen, LG Electronics Specialty Stores (YKG Co., Ltd., The Best Jisung Co., Ltd., Daemyung Distribution Co., Ltd., Samjung Co., Ltd., Gyeongnam Co., Ltd., Shinyoung Plus Co., Ltd., CDS Distribution Co., Ltd.)||Delivery or installation of event Goods|
|Webspread, CHAI Communication||
Announcement of Winners on Events and Delivery of Prizes
|NICE D&R||Finding the right tire for my car|
|LG Uplus, KT Corporation, SK Telink||“Safety Number” (one-time virtual phone number) service|
|Coupang Fulfillment Services||
Fulfillment Center related Works
|LG Uplus, KT, Kakao Corp., NHN Corp, LGCNS||Message delivery service|
|Metanet Global Corp. , Unipost||Handling of tax and utility bill|
|Amazon Web Services Inc.||Data storage|
Customer Support system maintenance
Informing the amount of paid and unpaid charges
Debt collection and other related works
|Coupang Pay Corp.||Easy payment, e-gift card and Pay Later services system development and maintenance Payment processing , account verification and payment fraud prevention Issuing cash receipts Fraud operations support|
|Coupang Eats Service, Ltd.||Processing order delivery on Coupang Eats and responding to inquiries Detection of and response to fraudulent activities by Coupang Eats Customers|
|CPLB Corp.||Fraud operations support|
3. Use and Provision Without User’s Consent
4. Processing of Pseudonymized Information
In some circumstances where it is necessary for statistics, scientific research, archiving for public interest, or other purposes, Coupang may pseudonymize the collected personal information so that it can no longer be identified an individual.
5. Procedure for and Methods of Destroying Personal Information
Coupang destroys personal information when the information is rendered unnecessary by the expiration of its retention period or by achieving the purpose of processing. In addition, pursuant to the personal information expiration policy, Coupang manages the personal information of users who have not used the service for one year by separately storing it or destroying. However, in accordance with the internal policy pursuant to Article 15(1)6 of the Personal Information Protection Act, the records of actions taken against fraudulent activities are separately stored and then destroyed after retaining for 5 years.
Procedure of Destruction : Once the purpose of personal information collection and use has been achieved, the information is separately stored and then destroyed after retaining for a certain period of time in obligation with the internal policies and applicable laws
Methods of Destruction : Personal information in electronic form is destroyed through means that will make the data irrecoverable, whereas personal information stored in a hard copy format is destroyed using a shredder.
However, if it is required by applicable laws to retain personal information even after the expiration of personal information retention period consented by the user or after achieving the purpose of processing, Coupang separately stores and manages to retain the necessary personal information.
|Information Retained||Retention Period||Statutory Grounds|
|Records of settlement and supplying goods, etc.||5 years||Act On the Consumer Protection In Electronic Commerce|
|Records of contract or subscription withdrawal, etc.||5 years|
|Records of customer complaints or settlement of disputes||3 years|
|Records of indication or advertisement||6 months|
|Records of electronic financial transactions||5 years||Electronic Financial Transactions Act|
Data of confirmation on collection, use and provision of location information of location data subject
|6 months||Act on the Protection and Use of Location Information|
|Website/app visit history||3 months||Protection Of Communications Secrets Act|
|Information for the payment of taxes and public utilities’ charge||5 years||Income Tax Law|
Records on the collection, processing, and use of credit information
Act on the Use and Protection of Credit Information
|Personal credit information||5 years|
Act on the Use and Protection of Credit Information
6. Rights and Obligations of Users and Legal Representatives and How to Exercise the Rights
- Coupang web: “마이쿠팡” (My Coupang) > “My 정보” (My Information) > “개인정보 확인 수정” (View/Update Personal Information)
- Coupang app: “마이쿠팡” (My Coupang) > “내정보 관리” (Manage My Information) > “회원정보 수정” (Update Member Information)
- Coupang Eats app: – “My 이츠” (My Eats) > “주소관리” (Manage Addresses), “결제관리” (Manage Payment)
- Coupang Play app: – “프로필” (Profile) > “설정” (Settings) > “계정 설정” (Account Settings)
User ID and password should not be transferred or lent to others, and Coupang is not responsible for any issues caused by such actions. Any act of inflicting damage on the information and dignity of others is punishable by the Personal Information Protection Act and the Act On Promotion Of Information And Communications Network Utilization And Information Protection.
6.1 Collection, Use and Provision of Behavioral Information and Refusing Consent
Coupang uses user’s service use records thru online to better understand our users in order to avoid meaningless and unnecessary advertisement exposure and increase the exposure of informative advertisements reflecting interest of users to products. However, Coupang does not use behavioral information classified as sensitive such as race, religion, sexual orientation, and medical history information for the Personalized advertisement.
Coupang disclosure on the contents of Coupang Personalized advertisements to assure users’ rights in accordance with the Guidelines for Personal Information Protection of Online Personalized advertisements.
6.2 Installation of an Applications Automatically Collecting PI and its Operation, and Refusing Consent
Coupang uses “cookies” that constantly store and load usage data to provide personalized services to our users. When a user accesses a website, the server reads the cookies stored in the user’s device to maintain the user’s environmental configurations and provide personalized services.
Purpose of using cookies
When a user accesses a website, cookies let them access according to their own settings and use it easily. They are also used to provide optimized or Personalized advertisement through browsing history and use tendencies.
- Internet Explorer: Menu > Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing History > ‘Delete’ and ‘Settings’
- Google Chrome: Menu > Settings > ‘Privacy and Security’
- Safari: Preferences > ‘Prevent cross-site tracking’ and ‘Block all cookies’
- Major internet web browsers including Firefox and Opera are also providing cookie deletion features.
- Android: Home > Settings > Google > Ads > Turn on “Opt out of Ads Personalization”
- iPhone: Home > Settings > Privacy > Tracking > Turn off “Allow apps to request to Track”
7. Personal Information Safeguard Measures
- Technical Safeguards: real-time monitoring and blocking of hacking attempts and data leak, enhanced access control on personal information processing systems, storage of access logs and prevention of their forgery/alteration, at-rest encryption of passwords and critical information, and in-transit encryption of data
- Administrative Safeguards: Operation of a dedicated privacy team, regular training for PI handlers, awareness-raising activities toward employees, and regular inspection for compliance
8. Processing of personal location information
The purpose of processing and retention period of personal location information
Coupang Eats Service may retain personal location information for the minimum necessary period to achieve the purpose of use if necessary to provide location-based services in accordance with ‘Article 8 of Terms and Conditions of Location-based Services.’
Data of confirmation on collection, use, and provision of personal information and personal location information
- When the purpose of processing personal location information is achieved, such as the achievement of the purpose of collection and use of users’ location information or withdrawal of membership, the information is safely destroyed so that it cannot be irrecoverable or reproducible. If there is a justifiable reason, such as data to be retained in accordance with other laws, it shall be followed.
- Data of confirmation on collection, use, and provision of users’ location information is retained in the location information system for 6 months in accordance with Article 16 (2) of the Location Information Act.
Provision of personal location information to third parties and its notification
Rights and obligations of guardians for children under the age of 8, etc. and How to Exercise the Rights
In accordance with Article 26 (1) of the Location Information Act, if the person in charge of protection agrees to the use or provision of personal location information for the protection of the life or body of any of the following users, it shall be deemed that the user themselves consents thereto.
The person in charge of protection who wants to exercise the right must submit to the company a document and the certificate of family relations, etc. certifying that he or she has an equivalent right of whom protected in accordance with terms and conditions of location based service.
- Child under the age of 8
- Adult ward
- Persons with mental disabilities under Article 2(2)-2 of the Act on Welfare of Persons with Disabilities, who are severely disabled under Article 2-2 of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of the Persons with Disabilities (Limited to those who are registered as persons with disabilities according to Article 32 of the Act on Welfare of Persons with Disabilities)
9. Chief Privacy Officer and Customer Support Team
Coupang designates a Chief Privacy Officer in charge of personal information protection as below to take responsibility for the processing of personal information, and to handle complaints and damage relief from users related to personal information processing.
|Role||Person/Team in Charge|
|Chief Privacy Officer (CPO)||Jang June Young|
|Privacy Team||Privacy Compliance|
Customer Support and Compliant Handling Team
|1:1 live chat|
|Customer Center > Contact Us|
|My Eats > Customer Support|
Privacy Notice Version: 11.2
Effective Date: 02-03-2023